Suggest remedies for lower back pain post an injury

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell on a few steps and my tail bone and lower back hurt. I did put ice on and seems better. I took an Bayer Back pain pill. Is this something I should be worried with ?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if the pain subsided then nothing to be worried of

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
As you mentioned that the pain is better after you applied ice and also you have already taken the painkiller so I feel that it could be just a minor trauma and nothing of serious note.
But if the pain stays or increases in period of a day or so then get a x ray of the lower back with sacro coccyx to see for any fracture.
Usually the bones are quite strong to sustain minor injuries or traumas but as I mentioned before if the pain increases then better to get it investigated.
Continue to apply ice every 3 or 4 hrs for 1 day.
You have taken bayer back pain pill. Take it as and when you have pain. But you should not take more than 2 per day.
I do not feel it would be anything major and it will be fine in 4-5 days. But watch over red flag signs of increasing pain or any tingling numbness over legs. If it occurs then get it investigated with x ray and seek orthopedic surgeon's opinion.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar