Suggest remedies for insomnia

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I have insomnia real bad. I have been taking medication for it but its just not getting better . i had a sleep study done and they just say i have insomia. now they stop with the meds and i stay away almost all night i might get 3 hours of sleep
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Insomnia diagnosed by a sleep study should still be treated with medication. If Ambien worked well for you, then I would recommend speaking to your doctor about prescribing Ambien 5mg nightly at bedtime. This will treat insomnia very well, and help you feel better.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I would look for a different doctor. If you are limited to over the counter options, Benadryl is an excellent option. I would take 25 to 50mg nightly. Another good option is melatonin, 3mg to 10mg nightly. These are both very helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 16 minutes later
Dr. Sheppe he would not prescribed this medication to me any more. so I have been taking over the counter medication that really don't work for me, and its just making my stomach hurt.

like i said i have taken all those you name and it does not help me. I guess nothing will be helping me over the counter.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Another option your doctor might prefer because it is not a controlled substance is trazodone, which is a safe and effective prescription medication for insomnia.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 40 minutes later
already tired it . thanks for taking the time out and giving you your medical observation. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.