• question-icon

Suggest remedies for fever in an infant

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My daughter is 2.5 yrs old and having 9kg weight. She is having fever 102 since Saturday evening. our doctor prescribed her Taxim-O 50mg, 5ml twice a day and Ibugesic Plus 5ml as SOS for fever. But with this medication her fever comes down only for 4-5 hrs and after that we again need to give Ibugesic Plus 5ml.
Pls. suggest the right medicine for her.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. If ibugesic plus is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P [mefenamic acid] which is more effective. Also use tepid sponging. Giving some antiallergic like cetirizine will take care of the allergic reactions which are often associated. Taxim-O is an antibiotic and although antibiotics are not helpful in viral infection, you should complete the course in order to avoid development of antibiotic resistance.

Please be patient, it should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 24 minutes later
Thanks Dr. for your swift response. I have Meftal-P (100mg). Pls. suggest suitable does for her. Her age is 2.5 yrs and weight is 9kg

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon body weight

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The dose of medicines depends upon body weight. For Meftal P it is 7mg/kg. Please calculate accordingly.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician