Suggest remedies for fever in a child while on Crocin

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Our son 16 months old is down with 103 fever..We have given him crocin suspension and maftal p ..how long does both medicines take to act since the fever is still not down..We had given the medicines about two hours before..should we take him to hospital
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Should subside soon. Apply tepid sponging.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I am sorry to know that your son is down with fever. The action starts within minutes although sometimes it may take an hour for the full action to set in. You need to give tepid sponging continually if the temperature is raised.

Please let me know the body weight of your child. The dose needs to be checked. The correct dose of Crocin (paracetamol) is 15mg/kg/dose and that of Meftal P (mefenamic acid) is 7.5 mg/kg/dose.

I do not think that taking the child to a hospital would solve the problem. Rather, if the dose is proper, you should simply continue tepid sponging and the temperature should come down. If it still does not come down, going to the ER of a hospital seems to be the only option.