Suggest remedies for depression and anxiety while on thyroid medication

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am on thyroid medication. For about three mouths I have never felt worse feel like I am in a giant fog bank, depression anxiety suicide thoughts. I switched to three doctor they keep saying its going to get better unknown want to do! Also have had vocal cord repair twice the first one failed. Then second one was a success. Though voice never came back. Then atop of that Dr made my next appointment see him in two. Whet just happened was taking nape notice metal like substance go down my throat . I think my vocal cord failed.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think antidepressant medication should be tried

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I feel there is need for further evaluation as feeling worst with thyroid medication is not something common and other possibilities should be ruled out. In addition I feel you should get prescription of antidepressant as there is clear evidence in favor of depression.

Presence of suicidal thoughts along with anxiety and depression is serious issue and should be addressed as soon as possible.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 55 minutes later
Already on anti depressiate not helping. Also the other problem is after the 2 thyroid surgery I feel like some one is choking me. Also have not been able speak that well. Had two vocal repair one was a failure the other fixed the vocals cords though voice is still hoarse now. Any ifdea my Dr have no idea. Going have find different Dr.

Also I do see doctor for depression before the surgery. Fog bank is something new and the craps and feel some one is choking me my doc has no idea has some to do with surgery he feels. Any idea would be appreaciated
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think the dose should be augmented

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Since antidepressants are not working or yielding results I think there is need to increase the dose. In case it has been already done than an augmentation can be tried with available augmenting agents like lithium, pindolol, thyroid hormone, low dose atypical antipsychotics.

Feelings of choking and hoarseness of nerve mostly related to damage to recurrent laryngeal nerve after thyroid surgery and I feel same may be reason for you. I must acknowledge that with available little information it will be difficult for me to pinpoint cause in minute detail.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.