Suggest remedies for constipation when diagnosed with diverticulitis

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i have diverticulitis. i have not pooped in 3 weeks. i can barely eat/ hospital er sent me home in extyreme pain and very nauseu
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try suppositories.

Detailed Answer:

Noted the history and understood the concerns. Since you are a known patient of diverticulitis and not pooped in three weeks you need evacuation of the bowel without complications of perforation. Continue the medications of antibiotic and nausea medication, take a PPI like Omeprazole.

If you know the site of diverticulitis I can suggest you further help. If there is no diverticulitis in descending colon and rectum, you can try suppositories to be inserted into anus - Dulcolax or Glycerin suppositories and see the results.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 34 hours later
thank you for answering me. I tried dulcolax again with no results. tried enema and it worked a bit. I made the mistake of eating last night and the pain is worse. I went to the hospital before I wrote you and they did a ct scan and diagnosed me. Did not tell me how to fix it. said I didn't need to come back unless i was running a fever. My husband is freaking out. will try another enema today. The dr. at the hospital treated me like a drug addict so I am trying to not go back. My rheumatologist monitors my narcotics carefully and is slowly switching me to oxycodone, The hospital gave me morphine and it didn't help but all the dr said was that happens when you are on narcotics long term. pain is so bad. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prescription based medications as discussed.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand the plight you must be going through.
Try enema again. But if this is a case of diverticulitis the obvious treatment is a proper dosage of appropriate antibiotic, Metronidazole pro-biotics; symptomatic and supportive medications which need a valid prescription. I hope you have been given these too.

Once the disease is diagnosed, say like diverticulitis, there is no point in waiting for fever to come. You still need a proper management.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
I did another enema. Again little came out. Could this be a blockage or would the ct scan shown it. I am not on probiotics. thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan shows blockage.

Detailed Answer:

CT scan would have shown the blockage.
There will be distention of abdomen if there is blockage.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon