Suggest remedies for constipation and black stools with blood

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, so for about a week now I have been constipated. I have tried taking laxatives such as Ducolax, Milk of Magnesia and Miralax with little movement. It is also very painful for me to have a bowel movement and sometimes my stools are black with blood which i havent had before. I've had very painful cramping and a queasy stomach as well. My regular doctor is on vacation and I dont know if i should go to Urgent Care or the ER and what to do to feel better.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs immediate medical management and PR examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, the issue which concerns me the most is black colored stool and containing blood. This needs to be evaluated as black colored stool may be from bleeding in upper GI tract but usually in such cases, the stool consistency is usually loose and not hard. Presence of fresh bleeding is stools needs evaluation by per rectal examination and sigmoidoscopy by a surgeon as long term constipation can trigger haemorrhoids.

Meanwhile using stool softeners like lactulose and motility agents like domperidone or mebeverine may help. Using enema or glycerine suppositories can be helpful if stool passage is painful and causing troubles.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina