Suggest remedies for cold and chest pain

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I went to Lake Tahoe yesterday and it was snowing there and cold. i was all dressed up for the cold. I didn't eat dinner last night and I ate today at 4:30 PM.

I didn't find any blood when I brushed in the morning, but evening while taking shower I rinsed my mouth and in the process I tried to clean up my mouth by coughing and in the process I saw blood when I spit out.

it was dark red in color and it was not like bleeding but mixed with saliva.

I have no chest pain or breathing issues.

Nothing from the nose either no cold.

Attaching the picture of what I spit.

I don't Smoke or drink Alcohol.the temperature was 27 to 37 degrees F. It was snowing there and I was outdoor for almost 5 hours. I was in jackets and 3 layer warm cloths with gloves and boots.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely small clots from the nasal cavity.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. From you description and the image, the source of this bleed is the nasal cavity.

2. If this does not happen again, no further investigation or management is necessary.

3. Nasal dryness due to extreme cold can cause such bleeding. Coughing can also cause such minor bleeding from delicate lymphoid tissue in the throat.

4 If you seek a check-up, nasal and throat examination, videolaryngoscopy, nasal endoscopy and a coagulogram will settle the diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 minutes later
I will keep an eye out. So far nothing it was just one time. But there were some amount of cloths blood and it was mixed with saliva. When I went up the mountains and came back I had ear pain too does it cause bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should get this checked if this occurs again.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The nose has a very rich blood supply as it helps control the temperature and humidity of the inspired air. Hence a small amount of blood is not a cause for concern as the nose can bleed torrentially in sever bleeds, like a garden hose.

2. The ear pain is a sign that the nose is involved as the ears are connected to the nose by the Eustachian Tube. The ear pain will usually not be a direct cause for bleeding.

Regards.