Suggest remedies for cold, breathing issues and chest pain

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: I went to Lake Tahoe yesterday and it was snowing there and cold. i was all dressed up for the cold. I didn't eat dinner last night and I ate today at 4:30 PM.
I didn't find any blood when I brushed in the morning, but evening while taking shower I rinsed my mouth and in the process I tried to clean up my mouth by coughing and in the process I saw blood when I spit out.
it was dark red in color and it was not like bleeding but mixed with saliva.
I have no chest pain or breathing issues.
Nothing from the nose either no cold.
Attaching the picture of what I spit.

I don't Smoke or drink Alcohol

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi. You require evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi . Welcome to hcm. So i have gone through the details. There is no need to worry. There can be multiple causes of blood in sputum..most likely being the mild mucosal injury during coughing. Besides that, bronchitis (which is mild inflammation of airways), can cause bleeding. Moreover, any lower reapiratory infection can also cause bleeding. So you require atleast a chest xray and sputum examination to rule out any infection. Not to scare you but there is negligible chance of other causes like any tumor, so i ddnt mention that.
Thanks andregards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 26 minutes later
what is this mean:
Not to scare you but there is negligible chance of other causes like any tumor, so i ddnt mention that.

Do I need to visit a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

So a lung cancer should be last on the list in a case of asymptomatic hemoptysis, hence you should not be worried. More common cause include infection and mild damage to blood vessels which I have listed. They can be easily picked up on X-ray and sputum examination and are easily treatable n sometimes self limiting. Persistent cough chest pain weight loss, loss of appetite are pointers towards cancer and I assume you don't have any of these symptoms.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor. When I went up the mountains and came back I had ear pain too does it cause bleeding? I didn't do mountain climbing it was high altitude and use the cable car to go up and down which was closed.

I didn't see the blood this morning, do I still need to do some tests or see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It looks unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Nose bleed can occur at high altitude, but looks unlikely now.
Thanks

Brief Answer:
Hello. You can wait

Detailed Answer:
Hello. You can wait. If it appears again, visit a doctor.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad