Suggest remedies for abdominal discomfort

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had discomfort in my lower abdomen for a week. I do not have loose bowels. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I did have chills for one day last week. Could I be experiencing a virus?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be viral gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
Thank you for posting query on HealthcareMagic.

Have gone through all your details.As per your query yes it could be Virus or bacterial or protozoal. You are having symptoms of Gastroenteritis.It is a condition in which due to either viral,bacterial or protozoal invasion intestinal mucosa is inflamed causing symptoms like Nausea,Vomiting,loose stools,Abdominal cramps etc.However its not necessary that all symptoms are always present.Presence of chills indicate infection in intestines.

Suggestion-
Ultrasound abdomen should be done to rule out other problems like intussuseption which mimics gastroenteritis symptoms.
A stool Routine and Microscopy test should be done to rule out bacterial or protozoal infection.

Hope, I answered your query well.
Feel free to ask any query.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T