question-icon

Suggest remedies for UTI and diarrhea

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016
Question: my mother in law has a uti, no energy to the point of being bedridden, is dehydrated, has had diareha for the past 24 hours. she was in the hospital last weekend, but all they did was check her heart which was fine and prescribed antidepressants. also she has lost 11 lbs in the last month without trying
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
oral fluids,anti diarrhoeal, USG, thyroid tests . urine routine, culture,

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1. St her age diarrhoea can lead to dehydration and severe weakness. Hydration needs to be corrected with oral fluids, and suitable anti diarrhoeal medicines need to be started. Of course, she will need prescription for the same.

2. For her severe and sudden weight loss, thyroid hormone levels and USG abdomen will be of help.

3. Uti needs to be investigated properly. Urine routine examination and culture sensitivity will guide for proper treatment of UTI.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN