Suggest medications for loose motions

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Hi doctor, I'm having loose motions since yesterday night. can you pls advise some medicine.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infection/ inflammation in GIT

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Regarding your symptoms as mentioned in the post, kindly let us know about the following:
1. Any history of eating food outside?
2. Is the loose motion associated with vomiting?
3. Is there any presence of blood in stool?
4. Any complaints of stomach pain, fever, weakness, etc?
5. Any history of associated conditions like Gastric ulcer, Hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disorder, etc?

In case the loose motion started after consumption of food from outside source, the symptoms can be controlled with maintaining hydration status & electrolyte balance.

If not, the symptoms can be attributed to infection/ inflammation of Gastrointestinal tract.
Presenting with such symptoms, I usually treat my patients with:
1. Tablet Pantoprazole + Domperidone twice daily (to be taken half an hour before food)
2. Anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation twice daily (to be taken after food).
3. Lactobacillus preparations.
4. Antibiotics like Ofloxacin+ Ornidazole preparations, OR based on culture & sensitivity reports to control the causative organism.
5. Oral Rehydration Solution (O.R.S) for maintaining the hydration status & electrolyte balance of the body.
6. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods.
7. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc.

If symptoms still persist, certain investigations like complete blood count, estimation of serum electrolytes, stool examination & Ultrasound scan of abdomen & Pelvis will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Wishing a good health.