Suggest medication for itching after leech bite

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: About 10 days back, i was bitten by a leech while on tracking. Although i got rid of it and applied general whitelime to stop bleeding, things looked to have worked, but lately i am getting aggresive itching in the area. Happening since last 3-4 days. Is this something of concern? Should i apply any medicine ? Please help
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antiseptic cleaning and antihistamines for itching

Detailed Answer:

From the description, I feel that the itchy lesion could be a cutaneous reaction caused by the leech bite. I would like to see the picture of the lesion to know whether there is any inflammation, blood coagulation on the bite site.

Please upload a picture of the lesion on the page or you can mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject as ATTN:Dr Ashwin Bhandari.

There are very few studies showing skin reactions caused by leech bites and have been treated with antiseptic lotions, antihistamines with prophylactic antibiotics.

So, please clean the lesion with antiseptic lotions like dettol, cover it with a bandage, take Tab. Cetrizine 10mg three times a day after food for 3 days for itching. Prophylatic antibiotics might be required, if the lesion doesn't heal with above instructions.

Please do not scratch the lesion.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help you.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj