Suggest medication for dry eyes

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Problem with dry eye (or perhaps something else). In August, I developed dry eye, or at least that's what was diagnosed based on placing strips on my eye lids to measure moisture. I tried Restasis and it was not good for me - it made my eyes hurt and the condition worse after several weeks. My symptoms are mostly redness of the eyes and eyes feeling tired. They do not feel like they have sand in them and they don't itch or get watery. I had (2) of my lower tear ducts plugged and that helped quite a bit; at the same time I was also using a warm eye compress pad at night and eye lubricants without preservatives. However, about 3 weeks ago, the eye drops stopped working as well and seemed to more of an irritant than a help. The only thing that relieves the redness is a vasoconstrictor which I only use when I have to (i.e. before I meet with clients so it doesn't look like I've been crying). I try to avoid the vasoconstrictor but it also makes my eyes feel better, not just less red. I wear glasses, never contacts, and use the computer a lot. Not sure if having more eye ducts plugged would help? If I have to use a vasoconstrictor, is there a level of active ingredient that is best? I use Iridina Due from Italy which I found while traveling; they don't sting my eyes like Visine does (and Visine doesn't work so well for me). Looking for a recommended eye lubricant, too.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lubricants

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
You do have dry eye.There are vaous levels of management in such cases.We start with lubricant drops,gels,cyclosporine group and plugging.
You have been using lubricant drops but i do not see any mention of gels.Various gel preperatios like Gentle gel from Novartis and lacrigel are available and they give a more lasting relief,gels maintaining moisture for longer periods of time.This can be added and relief monitored.
There are two ducts one upper and one lower in each eye and lower draining much more tears.That is the limit of blocking these ducts.
Ocular decongestents like visine do not have a theraputic role and at times have a rebound redness.They full fill a important role of making you presentable.
Decongestents and lubricants have to be tried to assess their individual acceptence as to what gives you greater relief.
lubricating gels can be added and please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist