question-icon

Suggest medication for IBS and gastritis

Posted on Thu, 12 Nov 2015
Question: My mother is around 54 yrs old. She is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and gastritis. On her last visit ti our family physician he prescribed Pantocid DSR, Zanocin oz,aristrozyme surup and riflux forte .Even after that she is complaining of acidity and stomach problems. For that the doctor has prescribed NEopride total and Tiniba 500. Can you kindly suggest wether she is undergoing correct treatment and if not what should be done?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Zanocin OZ is not required.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of intestine and antibiotics have no role in it. Only non absorbable antibiotics like Rifaximin have some role in it.
I recommend following to my patients suffering from IBS with gastritis:
1. A combination of Pantoprazole and Levosulpride.
2. A smooth muscle relaxant like Mebeverine which reduces abdominal pain.
3. Soft and bland diet.
4. Refractory cases respond well to combination of Cholorodiazepoxide and clinidium bromide.
5. Syrups like Riflux to be taken in case of Acute acidity.
So his prescription is right. I just don't advice Tiniba as it has no role in IBS.
Your doctor might have seen some sign of infection and might have given that.
So Neopride total and Mebeverine would be a preferred combination according to me.
Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Anshul Varshney