Suggest ideal lens after removal of cataract lens

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Which new lens is best for me after removal of my catarac lens. Disregard any financial difference in pricing.
My last prescription was:
Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
R -3.25 -1.00 90 +2.75 to both
L -3.50 -1.75 80
I have near vision, I would like to retain that vision (seeing things 6-8 inches from my eyes) after my new lens are inserted. I like wearing glasses, I do a lot of reading, I'm 75 years old. Should I go with the new Symfony lens which will correct my astigatism and give me good continuous vision at all lengths and yet likely wear glasses for reading, or go with the standard monovision lens and wear glasses all the time for intermediate and near vision. In either case would I still have my 6-8 inches of short vision after inserting the new lens?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for Symfony lens!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM.
Have gone through all your details,
I would suggest you to go for symfony lenses over standard monovision glasses.
Reason-
The Symfony lens, after implantatrion In most cases has minimal recovery time, with patients able to return to their usual routine just 24 hours after surgery. Unlike traditional multifocal lenses, there are no glares or halos with the Symfony lens, no reduction in contrast sensitivity, and it has a special defraction grating, making it similar to a traditional lens implant but with the added benefit of a reading prescription.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your thoughtful and timely response, it's helpful

>I'm still struggling between Symfony/Toric (ST) and traditional, I understand how ST trumps Multi focal.
>Is the recovery time between ST and traditional identical?
>I prefer to wear glasses all the time for my appearance. Given that, and my astigmatism, I see my choice as either ST or traditional, both with a progressive prescription following surgery, minor for ST or major with traditional. If I have that right, it seems like my question is which is the best way to correct my astigmatism, ST which carries the additional risk of correct placement but an ongoing substantially lesser amount of astigmatism or traditional with progressive glasses?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for ST.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
No, recovery is earlier with ST.
If i would be your surgeon i would have gone with ST and not for traditional.
Thanks!