• question-icon

Suggest treatment for astigmatism

Posted on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: HI,

My Son is 3.5 years old, he got cylindrical eye power -3.5 in both eyes & spherical zero. I took him for routing eye check up & shocked by this report. Is there any way by which we can reduce this eye power.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Power can't be reduced.

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

Astigmatism is an imperfection in the curvature of your cornea. Normally, the cornea and lens are smooth and curved equally in all directions, helping to focus light rays sharply onto the retina at the back of your eye. However, if your cornea or lens isn't smooth and evenly curved, light rays aren't refracted properly. This is called a astigmatism.These powers tend to be stable and non-progressive in most people. The condition is curable by using glasses to see better.Astigmatism is not an eye disease it's simply a refractive error like nearsightedness and farsightedness — and it can be corrected with eyeglasses, contact lenses and LASIK surgery.
No drops or surgery can be done at this age. However when the child turns 18, he can consider lasik surgery to correct the refractive error.
There is no way to reduce this eye power as the curvature of cornea once changed can't be reverted but it can be maintained at the same levels by using spects and getting eye power checked every 6 month.

This power can be corrected by LASIX surgery once the kid is 18 years old.
Try to give her antioxidant and vitamin rich healthy diet.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your kind response. But I wonder why we don't see any symptoms in him? If I didn't take him for eye check up we'd never know about his eye number.
With this -3.5 no. he should shown few symptoms. Can Eye yoga will help him? Do he need to wear glasses at all time?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
He is just 3.5y most likely this problem is there from birth. So how would you know just from normal activities that your kid is having astigmatism.In most of the cases the case is diagnosed when patient goes to school and has difficulties there.
Eye yoga can be helpful however as per allopathic there is no documented proof but you can try it.
No he need to wear glasses whenever he gives strain to his eyes.

Regards.
Thanks Doctor,
few more questions please.
Actually doctor asked us to wear him specs full time.
Is there any chance of increasing eye power if he does not use specs all the time & instead he use specs while going to school or while studying.
Also do he need to wear specs while watching TV/Mobile?
What is effect of TV/mobile? Are these are the factors for his high eye power ?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again
1)By full time doctor means to say whenever the kid is giving strain to her eyes like watching TV XXXXXXX Reading book,Black board etc.

2)Eye power would remain constant but just remember any thing which puts strain on eye needs spects.

3)Yes he do.

4)No most likely he is having congenital astigmatism(curvature of cornea is faulty since birth) but putting strain without spectacles could further worsen it.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist