Suggest treatment for severe myopia

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Kindly help me under stand this eye sight prescrition in layman language(age 26):
How severe is this?
If laser treatment possible.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-89J-TjcQkwalo5Ul9kWUpFWlk/view?usp=drivesdk
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Myopia and astigmatism both.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query,
you have both spherical and cylinrical power in your eye.
First Minus sign indicate spherical power of the lens and the second negative power indicate the cylindrical power of the lens.
Cylindrical lens indicate the degree of the astigmatism.
The term "sphere" means that the correction for nearsightedness or farsightedness is "spherical," or equal in all meridians of the eye. Cylinder (CYL). This indicates the amount of lens power for astigmatism.

Astigmatism is caused by an irregular curvature of the eye's cornea or lens. If your cornea or lens isn't smooth and evenly curved, light rays aren't refracted properly. This is called a refractive error. Astigmatism is one type of refractive error,with blurred or distorted vision at near and far distances.

Myopia, or nearsightedness, is a refractive error, which means that the eye does not bend or refract light properly to a single focus to see images clearly. In myopia,close objects look clear but distant objects appear blurred.

As per your question this is not very severe.You can use spectacles.However laser surgery can be done if you want.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj