Suggest food supplements for weight gain

Dr. Phanindra Dulipala

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I have recently diagnosed with diabetes and fasting/PP sugar is ...113/148 after taking medicine.
Please let me know what health supplements I should take as I have witnessed
Loss of weight, I appear thinner. Blood pressure is also high 90/130.
Sometimes, I find difficulty in reading small letters.

Please suggest precautions and strict no food, fruits
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not restrict all fruits.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

First let me appreciate for your positive approach. Blood sugars are in control. Blood pressure is also nothing to worry.

Coming to Diet, You need not restrict Everything.

The food supplements for weight gain in diabetes are:

Whey protein powder is a low-carb, high-protein supplement ideal for diabetes. It can be mixed with milk, water or juice to provide you with a caloric boost between meals.

Boost Glucose Control is a liquid meal replacement designed for diabetics. This supplement contains less than half of the carbs of regular Boost, the manufacturer's website adds. A single pack of Boost Glucose Control contains 250 calories and only 6 g of sugar. Boost Glucose Control can be sipped as a snack or mixed with low-fat milk and fruit for a high-calorie smoothie.

Protein bars are a convenient and calorie-rich way to take in the extra calories your body needs to pack on extra pounds. However, many contain significant amounts of added sugar. Check the nutrition label carefully to ensure that the bar is low in sugar. Protein bars that are also low in sugar include XXXXXXX Low Carb Bar, Detour Bars and Luna Bars.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju