• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Effexor XR

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've been on effexor xr, for three to four months now. I take it in the morning. Could it still be making me tired in the afternoon?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If it has been 3-4 months that you have been taking an antidepressant and still feeling fatigued from it, then it is unlikely that this side effect will resolve for you.

If the fatigue started when you began the Effexor XR, then it is most likely due to this medication. However, if you had fatigue before that, it could be from poor sleep quality, depression, anemia or thyroid problems for example.

So if it started with the Effexor and has continued, it's time to discuss this with your doctor. Sometimes switching to taking at night time is all that is needed, but you may need a different antidepressant entirely. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is non-sedating, and some of the SSRIs such as Escitalopram (Lexapro) might be less sedating for you.

I recommend at this point talking with your doctor to either make adjustments with the Effexor or to consider switching to a different medication.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
yeah I've been suffering from depression and health anxiety due to a cancer scare back in February. That's why I was started on the effexor. They say they did a ct of my abdomen and pelvic area and said that I didn't have cancer. They also did a cystocopy, and a Spa test. In my mind I feel they missed something. Every little ache or symptom I have , I run to the doctor. Should I trust them?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions for you

Detailed Answer:
What was the cancer scare - i.e. what was the reason all of these tests were done?

And what type of doctors evaluated you ( what were their specialties)?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
my regular doctor and urologist
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Questions for you

Detailed Answer:
What symptoms were you having that warranted this extensive work-up?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
They found blood microscopic in my urine.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
If a PSA, cystoscopy, and CTs of the pelvis were done, that is the standard evaluation for microscopic hematuria in an adult.

Cancer causes microscopic hematuria in less than 5% of cases, and in the majority of cases, no medical cause is ever identified. It can happen even from running or other vigorous physical activity in some people.

I'm including a link to an article on the evaluation of microscopic hematuria. It won't show up as a blue link, so you have to copy and paste it into your address bar.

But as you will see from the article, your work up was thorough, and therefore no need to worry.

Here it is: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2013/1201/p747.html
one last thing. would the CT scan of my abdomen and pelvic area show any abnormalities in my other organs?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it shows the tissues in detail.

Detailed Answer:
It should, particularly if it included contrast material (oral/IV).
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 minute later
it did. thanks for your help. Hopefully I can put my fears to rest.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome -

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you do not have to worry as you had a very thorough evaluation, cystoscopy looks at the bladder directly, and CTs are very detailed of the areas that can't be looked at directly with a scope. So you are clear.

I'll leave this information from the XXXXXXX Urological Association about follow up after negative work up. Basically have a urinalysis done once a year for two years. That's all.

"After a negative urologic workup, yearly urinalysis is recommended in patients with persistent asymptomatic microhematuria, although they may be discontinued after two consecutive negative results. A repeat evaluation within three to five years should be considered in patients with persistent or recurrent asymptomatic microhematuria after an initial negative urologic workup."

thanks for your words of encouragement!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome!

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh