Suggest diet to be followed during pregnancy

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Diet Plans
Question: WHAT THE DIET CHART FOR 3 WEEK PREGENT WOMEN IF WOMEN WEIGHT IS 41 ONLY
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXX

Greetings from HealthcareMagic.

Pregnancy is a highly demanding period both physiologically and nutritionally. The mother’s diet and health during pregnancy has great influence on the fetus.
It should be remembered that during the first trimester, the mother's nutrient intake need not be increased solely because of pregnancy. The additional calories and proteins are required when the mother is underweight at the beginning of pregnancy. In such case the aim should be to achieve the weight gain milestones of gestation.

The suggested pattern is to take 5 to 6 meals a day. Doing so would distribute the total nutrition through the day and thus improve the overall nutritional intake.

•     Include protein of good quality like milk, pulses and legumes in daily diet. If you eat non veg than consider taking meat, chicken and eggs. Fish should be avoided as it might cause mercury contamination. To improve the protein quality, combination of plant protein like cereals and pulses along with small amounts of animal protein should be taken.
• To meet the additional iron need, foodstuffs like whole grain cereals, whole pulses, some leafy vegetables like mustard leaves, bathua, etc., dried fruits, eggs and organ meats should be consumed. Along with vitamin c rich foods like citrus fruits for maximum absorption.

Remember -

1. Never depend on a single type of food, maintain a variety in intake.
2. Follow a six meal pattern to allow the body to use the nutrients properly.
3. Add fiber to diet, increase the intake of salads and vegetables along with a liberal intake of fluids to avoid constipation..
4. Reduce the workload and take sufficient rest right from the beginning.
5. Observe high standards of personal hygiene and during food preparation also.
6. Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, green leafy vegetables & sprouts.

I would appreciate if you can tell me about your height to help me calculate your ideal body weight

Hope this helps.....

Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari