Suggest diet chart for an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Please suggest a healthy diet chart for my baby.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diet should be healthy,nutritious and balanced

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for asking on this platform

I would like to tell you that the diet should be individualised depending on the choice and health of the baby.
The diet should be healthy and balanced (adequate calories with carbohydrate,fat and protein).
A 2.5 year old child can take home food.The diet consists of 3 major meals with snacks in between.
Baby of this age needs more fat in their diet in comparison to adults because of their over activity.
I would suggest you to give paratha (filled with potato,raddish,spinach,fenugreek,panner)with butter/ghee,daal (different kind of),vegetable of choice,kheer or halwa as a sweet dish.
Give milk two times a day once in breakfast and another at bed time.
Snacks should consists of cornflakes XXXXXXX and fruits.
Child of this age are very choosy regarding the food.It is always suggested to accompany your baby when you go to the vegetable shop and let him choose vegetables of his choice.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 minutes later
Doctor, she face constipation problem often.
One doctor say don't give milk and one says give everything. Is there any home remedy or something to cure constipation if it comes. Other than drinking water.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper toilet training and giving fruit juice helps

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Passing infrequent stool is not constipation.Children passing stool less than three times a day or painful passage of hard stool are said to be constipated.
I agree with your doctor who has advised to avoid cow milk.If child is really constipated,trial of stopping cow milk should be given.Various studies)in my personal practice also)it has been seen that avoidance of cow milk helps in making bowel habit normal in children.I would suggest you to stop the cow milk and observe if stool gets normal.You may give soy milk that is available over the counters.
Giving plenty of fluids really helps in relieving constipation.You may give sorbitol containing fruit juice(apple,pear and mango), whole grains,vegetables as these helps in making the stool softer.
Encourage children to sit in the toilet for 10-15 minutes after meals (after meals gastrocolic reflex works to evacuate the bowel) on regular basis to avoid fear,pain or strain.

All these measures will help in relieving the constipation.
I shall be glad to help you out if you have any more doubts.