What does chest pain with spasms indicate while running in the cold?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can running in the cold cause an esophageal spasm? I was late for work and running down the block and I started getting this central chest pain/squeezing.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Initially rule out chances of angina.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Esophageal chest pain can also occur when the esophagus undergoes a strong spasm caused by a motility.Sometimes during stress and motility nerves in esophagus get over stimulated causing series of spasmodic contractions.So i wont deny chances of it esophageal spasm.
However i would initially suggest you to go for following baseline tests of cardiology like-
Cardiac markers like trop I and CPK MB.
2d echo cardiogram and stress test.Esophageal spasm is rare diagnosis and as pain is sqeezing in nature and central in location we have to initially rule out all possibility of angina(chest pain caused due to coronary artery blockage especially if you are a smoker).
However a easyclinical way to diagnose is if its esophageal spasm or not is to take a tablet of isosorbite nitrate(sorbitol) 5 mg sublinguilly when next time you have the same pain.If this pain responds to nitrate it can be esophageal spasm.In that case Endoscopy and Mannometry has to be done.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad