Suggest alternative medication in place of Gabapentin

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I have been taking gabapentin for sleep. I have very bad insomnia and I wonder what else I could substitute the gabapentin with as it does not work very well any more.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low dose quetiapine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although there are multiple options which can be used but considering poor response with GABA agonist molecule over time I feel we need to use something which have different mechanism of action. In that seroquel 25 mg at bedtime is one of the excellent molecule considering your age and other medications. In fact as per my personal experience I found this medicine as first choice when other medicine fails to work for sleep.

The second molecule can be trazodone 25 mg as it causes strong sleepiness side effects when used in low dose ssuch as 25-50 mg.

You may argue that the first molecule is antipsychotic and why I need to take antipsychotic for a reason as simple as sleep. I must assure you that what I am recommending you is for sleep and have little antipsychotic properties at this dose.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.