Suffering from migraines and constant pain in temple area. Suffered from TBI as a child. Could both be related?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: As a young child I suffered a TBI with indent on my right temple- subsequent comatose with spontaneous awakening, partial amnesia and the need to relearn how to walk. Now in my 50's, I have suffered from migraines and constant low level pain in that area. Could the 2 be related? I am on propranol which helps but doesn't completely alleviate the problem.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not likely to be related.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Frankly modern medical science has no answers as to what causes migraine. It is believed to be the influence of genes, some neurotransmitter changes or a vascular phenomena. Past neuroinfection including tuberculosis which has resolved now, has no relation to migraine or focal dull ache. Nevertheless, I am glad propranol has helping you with migraines and the dull focal ache. If you are still bothered, you can get the treatment modified - either by dose change or switch to alternate migraine prophylactic drug. Your neurologist will know about those. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards Regards