Suffering from hyper acidity, indigestion and noticed white specks in bowel movement. Treatment?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hyper acidity,Can have only have food with very less oil,no non veg,no spicy.

Symptoms are like indigestion,uneasy,white kind of spit comes once in the morning.

Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX
From your notes, I understand that you have had this problem
for a long time. I am glad that you are avoiding spicy or oily,greasy
foods. I see you are taking Pantoprazole .
I would like to know whether you had x-rays and endoscopic
studies done recently to check for ulcers in the esophagus or stomach
and also a biopsy to look for H.Pylori infection. There is a breath test
to detect this and it is very important to treat this if present.
H.Pylori causes duodenal ulcers and chronic inflammation of the
lining of the stomach and in some cases tied to stomach cancer.
You do seem to have GERD symptoms and that is the reason
for your morning spit problem. Especially during the night when
you are flat in bed , acid can back up into the esophagus and cause
irritation. Some people will have sore throat, hoarseness, cough,
sinus problems etc. It is very important that you take your PPI,
Pantakind twice a day , about one hour to one and one half hour
before your main meals for it to be effective. If you have been
on this drug for a long time and still have symptoms , perhaps
changing it Esomeprazole (Nexium) may be worth a try.
Avoid excess caffeine, citrus and tomato based products.
Try not to eat or drink 2 hours before you go to bed.
If after 4-8 weeks of this regimen, if you still have problems,
you may need additional tests such as ambulatory pH monitoring
to check the level of acidity and the frequency of reflux.
Depending on that , you may need surgery or other newer
endoscopic methods to strengthen the sphincter muscle between
the esophagus and stomach.
I hope this addresses your concerns.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor.
My mom is the one having this problem.
She has not done any x rays of that sort yet.
What all tests do you suggest that she should go for??
Please suggest those tests such as breath test??.

Also, I will make the diet strict for her to Avoid excess caffeine, citrus and tomato based products.Not to eat or drink anything prior two hours before going to bed.

Thanks a lot again.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 5 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX
I did not realize that you were asking about your mother.
She should first get the X-ray of the esophagus and stomach
also have the breath test for H.Pylori and an endoscopic
evaluation to look for any signs of inflammation of the
lower esophagus or the stomach.
I think I have mentioned the rest of treatment in my prior
note to you.
I am sure she will do fine if you follow the instructions.
I wish her well.