Suffering from gilbert's syndrome. Looking for medication, diet and precaution to be taken

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my son is 19 yrs old he is suffering from Gilberts syndrome from last 2-3 yrs,kindly suggest some medicine and what are the precautions to be taken
I WANT ALL THE DETAILS REGARDING FOOD BEVERAGES AND ANY PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN,MEDICINES,AND ANY COMPLICATION IN FUTURE PLEASE MAKE IT VERY CLEAR AS HE IS A STUDENT
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
XXXXXXX syndrome is a condition in which the processing of bilirubin by the liver is affected.
Bilirubin is the breakdown product of hemoglobin which carries oxygen in blood.
This leads to increased bilirubin in blood. Increased bilirubin leads to jaundice.

But XXXXXXX syndrome is a HARMLESS condition and does NOT require any treatment.
It does not cause any serious effect in the body.

There is no need for any specific diet or medicine for it.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more question kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
there must be some medicine or precautions that may be taken i am worried
will alcohol harm this disease
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 hours later
As said earlier, there is no treatment required for Gilbert's Syndrome.
Stress relief method could be adopted if he has any stress.

Alcohol does not worsen it. But alcohol itself can affect liver and cause jaundice.

You can go through the link below -
WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini