Suffering from dengue. Test showed fluctuating platelets count. Is this normal?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi,

My mom is suffering from dengue for the last three days. Her platelets count has been fluctuating since she is in hospital. Day one :

Morning : 95,000

Day Two:
Morning : 85,000 - She was admitted into hospital after this test.
Evening: 110,000

Day 3:

Morning : 70,000
Eve : 85,000

Day 4:

Morning : 79,000

No blood transfusion has been done. Is this normal in dengue ? If so how long does it take to recover ? She does not have severe symptoms. She was having vomiting on day 1. Are there any specific tests that can be done to determine the intensity of the disease ?

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Your mother is suffering Dengue, which is viral disease and is associated with decrease in platelet count (Thrombocytopenia). Platelet count can fluctuate it is more important to monitor the trend.
This should be monitored daily to see platelet count; this usually recovers in a week or so.
Please take care of her diet and Blood sugar level also.
If platelet is <0000/cumm or there is any bleeding we may have to give support by PRP (Platelet XXXXXXX Plasma) transfusion.

If required PT (Prothrombin Time), x XXXXXXX chest, EKG, and test for DIC may be done if any complication is suspected.
I wish her a speedy recovery.

Hope this helps you; please feel free to ask me if there is any doubt.

I will be happy to help.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E