Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Suffering from crohns disease. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1985
Answered : 140 Questions

my brother having a crohn deisaea..I have the reports and looking for your assistance on how it can be treated if it is applicable and i prefer to have a full medical report about the case.

i am panning to travel to there any good hospital there or contact?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

I have gone through the Medical records, lab tests and CT scans of your brother. I am also of the opinion that he is suffering from Crohn's disease. The treatment started at your hospital is the standard one, that would have been given anywhere in the world.

I will advise you to collect the report of MT-PCR and culture for the ileal biopsy and let me know, as I could not find this report in your papers. This is important to rule out ileal tuberculosis as treatment for this condition is totally different.

I am not aware of any particular hospital to see in Germany. I presume any big hospital should be fine. In anycase the treatment being administered at your hospital in Saudia seems fine.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from crohns disease. What treatment should be done? 16 hours later
Hi doctore,

thnks for your email..can U send to me pls one page medical report about the case and best way from your opinion to be treated?
i would appreciate that report..since it will help me to make many final decision.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 54 minutes later

Thanks for contacting again.

In my opinion the discharge summary made by your doctor in Saudi Hospital is good and explains everything about the patient, except the biopsy report which is available separately. As I have already said the MT-PCR and culture report is not available in your papers and needs to be collected from your hospital.

Regarding treatment, all the medicines that are needed have been given by your doctor. The main medicines are Pentasa, Imuran and Prednisalone. Dose of Imuran needs to be increased to about 150 mg (2 mg / kg body weight), while dose of prednisolone needs to be tapered gradually and stopped over next 2 to 3 months. You need to follow side effects of Imuran by doing Haemogram and Liver function tests from the lab on a monthly or two monthly basis. In case the symptoms do not get controlled or there is a relapse then medicine like Infliximab will need to be considered.

Crohn's disease is a chronic disease which can cause mild symptoms to severe incapacitating symptoms. There is no cure, it can only be controlled with medications. There is no way to know how the disease course will evolve in a given case. Hence I can not predict what problems your brother might face in future. But usual problems can be in form of intestinal strictures and obstruction, diarrhea, bacterial overgrowth, fistula and sinus formation, joint pains and swelling etc.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor