Suffering from chronic pain side after a stroke. Feeling anxious and taking narcotic

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I am female,80 yrs young, suffering from cronic pain on LEFT side (mostly hand,ear,face,under arm) after stroke in XXXXXXX 2013. Tried serveral meds. Now on 25mg Lyrica approx every 6 hrs. Tried stronger and variations of time, but this brings me the best consistant control. Brings pain from a 10 to 8, maybe 7. Would like to know what if any other meds, therapy could help me see improvement. So far, none, and I am on a downward trend with my emotions. Get anxious as many doctors here are not forthcoming and I feel a bit like they wish I would just go away, take a narcotic and be satisfied.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Amitrptyline and carbamazepine are good options Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. many people who have stroles also have such non specific chronic pains in the affected area. Lyrica is a good drug and it seems it is working well for you. But still a score (pain) of 7-8 is stillto high and you will require further pain meds. In my clinic there are two drugs which i prefer to use which will benefit the patient. These are Carbamazepine and Amitriptyline. The former is a mood stabilizer but has good pain control effect and the second one is an antidepressant which modulates the pain centrally. You also seem to be depressed by your condition I would sincerely suggest you to go ahead with some cognitive behaviour therapy sessions to feel good. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 23 hours later
Have tried carbramazepine and amitriptyline. Both had bad side effects.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Unfortunate Detailed Answer: Hello Its unfortunate that both these drugs had undesirable side-effects. Most of the side-effects settle with usage. But it seems they were intolerable. The next option would be to try duloxetine. This drugs is very good fro stroke related unspecified pains. Along with these medications, biofeedback therapy will also be useful for you. The biofeedback therapy will be available with psychologists. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy