Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Suffering from cervical spondylosis. Feeling stiffness and pain in neck. Suggest some medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I am 60 years old, working as a consultant in tax matters.. I have been suffering from cervical spondylosis for the last three years. Of late backside of my neck always remain swollen with little pain at the swollen site but some bearable pain on the right side of the neck down to right shoulder to finger of the right hand. Also I had trigger finger in my ring and middle finter and used steroid injection. Left side is not so affected but still some pain from shoulder to finger occurs regularly. X-ray findings indicate degenerative changes in the cervical joints. The symptoms are stuffiness and pain in the neck, which extends to the arms and hands alongwith numbness in the fingers. Please suggest medicines.

Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
You have a problem of neck bones and spinal cord called Spondylitis with Myelopathy.
This problem starts from the inflammation and degeneration of the cervical spine vertebrae which in turn cause compression of spinal cord.
The first step is to get an evaluation of the state and damage of the spine by a physical examination by a neurologist and an MRI cervical spine.
If the condition permits you can use a Soft cervical collar when sitting for clerical work. Learn the exercises for cervical spine to improve muscle strength so to support the vertebral column.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from cervical spondylosis. Feeling stiffness and pain in neck. Suggest some medication? 3 hours later
My query has not been fully answered. 1. There is regular numbness and tolerable level pain from right shoulder down to elbow to the fingers of my right hand. 2. There is rigid type swelling at the middle of the backside of the neck with no pain at the site but pain at below areas, particularly at shoulders through the hand down to the fingers. The Digital X-Ray report are as under:-

1. Osteophytes are noted at all levels
2. Bony alighment & spinous process are normal
3. Intervertebral disc spaces are maintained.
4. No abnormal pre or paravertebral soft tissue density seen

Please give reasons for the same and what to do for the same.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The tingling and numbness is the manifestation of the compression of nerve roots.
The swelling on the nape of neck most likely is the result of local spasm of muscles which is a protective mechanism to protect spinal cord. This occurs due to the bony degeneration you have described.
I have already explained them in clinical terms- Spondylitis and Myelopathy.
You should see the Neurologist and undergo the evaluation and investigation, no medication can be prescribed blindly in such serious issues. You can tale OTC pain killers like Ultracet if pain troubles you too much.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor