Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Suffering from back pain. What precaution should I take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 189 Questions
There is back pain just below the neck is being started at 33 age. What to do now.
I am driving my car at-least 4-5 hr/day. What precaution should I take.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Seems you are suffering from Cervical Spondylosis because of your long driving. If the pain is severe and hindering your day-to-day activities, it is better you get your neck examined by your doctor. He might order for an Xray neck or if needed an MRI of your neck. Discuss with your doctor.

Avoiding pillows while at rest, avoiding forward bending of your neck, avoiding long drives might reduce the pain in neck. Avoiding driving on rough roads will reduce the amount of jerks / force transferred to your neck. A proper seating angle while at work is always a best practice.

Regular exercises to strengthen your neck muscles will improve their tone and thereby decreases the progression of spondylosis.

Feel free to ask any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from back pain. What precaution should I take? 22 hours later
I can't avoid driving because to reach to my office takes minimum 2 hr. And its a little bit pain. What exercise you would like to suggest.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later
There are two types of exercises
1. Stretching and exercises to increase flexibility
2. Exercises to strengthen neck muscles

Since its difficult to explain exercises verbally, i have attached a link. You can check the link and do exercises carefully. If the exercises increases your pain or causes giddiness or any other symptoms, please consult your doctor immediately.

Wish you a good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor