Suffering from anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Will it cause high elevations in BNP test?
Unusual but possible
It would be unusual to have an acute elevation in BNP levels, but not impossible, in the setting of a hypertensive crisis such as the one you are describing, particularly if it gets to the point of creating backup pressure in the lungs called flash pulmonary edema; mostly in postmenopausal women but also in men, a reversible condition called stress cardiomyopathy can be associated with elevation of BNP levels. Recall also that other factors, such as kidney function, play a role in elevations of BNP. Thus, my best recommendation is to get the anxiety disorder appropriately blunted with maintenance medications so that you don't have recurrent episodes such as the ones described
Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from anxiety and panic attacks
- What causes anxiety disorder
- Causes of anxiety disorders
- Anxiety disorder panic attacks
- Generalized anxiety disorder test
- What#39s the treatment for general anxiety disorder alongside panic attacks
- Can anxiety disorders cause high heart rate
- Treatment for anxiety disorder and panic attacks
- Generalized anxiety disorder causes
- Panic attack high anxiety level
- Noticed bruise on skin after showering. Having frequent urination....
- Getting metallic taste in mouth, low grade fever, ringing in ears and...
- Headaches, high fever, allergies, achy sore eye, running nose Had GAD....
- Have tiny bumps and discolotation on ankles. Is this normal?
- Having normal BP, headaches, shaky hands and tired. What could be the...
- Advised test for TSH, lipid panel, cbc and metabolism. Do I have STD?
- Had squamous cell removed from chest. Feeling tired all the time. What...
- Have red bumps with white head on penis. No pain or itching. Could this...
- Getting blurred vision and feeling of roller coaster when laying down....
- Drank red wine. Got fever. Blood lipid panel test done. Reason for...