Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Suffer from severe hearing loss. Contracted typhoid. Using specialized hearing aid. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2544 Questions

My Mother who is aged about 55 yrs suffers from severe hearing loss in both her ears. This is a condition that she developed late in her teens (20-25 yrs) and it reportedly started when she contracted a severe case of Typhoid when she was at the age. Though she manages a completely normal life, I would like to explore the option of having this checked by an expert and if there is any option of a surgery/ treatment that can help her regain hearing with using specalized hearing aids, I would like to explore it. I have approached there hearing clinics which sell hearing aids but their testing and expertise is only to the extend of prescribing whether a device will help or not. I am trying to consult an expert who can assisit with this.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you can share an image of her Audiometry Reports, I will be able to guide you.You have a feature to upload the report by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

2. Assuming that this is an old sensorineural hearing loss, if it is severe, then an aided Audiogram must be done. her speech discrimination score (SDS) may help decide the choice of the hearing aid.

3. The options include hearing aids, bone anchors hearing aids and cochlear implants. A hybrid implant is a combination of a hearing aid and a cochlear implant.

Awaiting your reply and reports,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from severe hearing loss. Contracted typhoid. Using specialized hearing aid. Suggestions? 29 minutes later
Hi Dr.Bhatti,

Deeply appreciate your response. I do not have access to any reports of audiometry that was done for her in the past, in fact If you recommend a clinic/hospital from where I can start with a fresh audiometry (could be an aided audigram as you suggested) and have a consultation with the report, i would welcome that.

Please let me know if you have any place you'd like to recommend. I'm based at Bangalore.


Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A fresh Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA), other tests and an Ear examination will be required to assess her current hearing deficit.

2. The exact technology may then be selected which best suits her needs.

3. You may contact any of the following in Bangalore:
a. Prof Dr. H. Vijayendra
b. Dr. Kumaresh Krishnamoorty
c. Dr. XXXXXXX N. Dutt
e. Dr. A. Mahadeviah

These doctors have their dedicated websites.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor