Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Suffer from hearing loss from teenage. Regain hearing using specialized hearing aids?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 210 Questions
Hello Doctor,

My name is XXXX and here's my query.
My Mother who is aged about 55 yrs suffers from severe hearing loss in both her ears. This is a condition that she developed late in her teens (20-25 yrs) and it reportedly started when she contracted a severe case of Typhoid when she was at that age. Though she manages a completely normal life, I would like to explore the option of having this checked by an expert and if there is any option of a surgery/ treatment that can help her regain hearing using specalized hearing aids, I would like to explore it. I have approached hearing clinics which sell hearing aids but their testing and expertise is only to the extent of prescribing whether their devices will help or not. I had a chat with Dr XXXXXXX on the online forum who suggested your name and introduced me to the concept of conductive & sensory hearing loss.I am trying to consult an expert and plan what approach to take to have my mother tested and treated. Please let me know if you can consult on this.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 25 hours later

Thanks for the query. I have carefully read your description. Your location seems to be United States? Am I right? I assume your mother is also in the United States. I am based out of Bangalore in India.

Your mother seems to have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss - the exact extent of the loss has to be confirmed after testing. There are only two options in these cases; hearing aids or cochlear implants. If her hearing has deteriorated and she is unable to manage her lifestyle, it would be ideal to try out hearing aids first. Again, there are various advancements in hearing aid technology and with proper testing and fitting she should start hearing better. So you would need to consult with an ENT specialist in that area who can confirm the type of loss and can refer you to the appropriate audiologist for testing the hearing levels and hearing aids fitting.

Do let me know if you have any more doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from hearing loss from teenage. Regain hearing using specialized hearing aids? 1 hour later

Deeply appreciate your response. I do not have access to any reports of audiometry that was done for her in the past, in fact If you recommend a clinic/hospital from where I can start with a fresh audiometry and have a consultation with the report, i would welcome that.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations. I'm also based at Bangalore.


Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 3 hours later

Good to know that you are in Bangalore. In that case, ideally it would be better if you visit an ENT specialist first before going for an audiogram. You can XXXXXXX an ENT specialist in your area or XXXXXXX me in my clinic at Suguna Hospitals, Rajajinagar between 7 and 9 pm on weekdays.

If you want to directly undergo an audiogram, that is fine too. In that case you can visit any of the good hearing assessment and fitting centers depending on your area. In Malleshwaram you will find Abbee hearing aid center and XXXXXXX heaing aid center (Shreeya is also there in other areas). The other centers that I would recommend are Nayak hearing clinics in various areas of Bangalore. These are private centers. If you would like to look for Institutes which also have good audiologists apart from students learning audiology, you can go to - Dr. SR XXXXXXX speech and hearing institute in Lingarajpuram. NIMHANS also has a very good audiology set up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from hearing loss from teenage. Regain hearing using specialized hearing aids? 16 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I will get in touch with the hospital and book an appointment shortly. Will refer to our conversation when I XXXXXXX you.
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 7 hours later
Sure. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor