Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suddenly noticed no movement in hand and body. What is the disease called?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My father-in-law is 85 yrs old. Tonight, he suddenly moves his hand, body and mouse unwillingly. It stops sometime and it stops when his position changes. Today he went outdoor for a while in the afternoon-it was very cold and lots of snow in Boston.he ate with the concern of blood sugar. What could it be? Should I call 911?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 52 minutes later

Thanks for this question

I have noted his problems. The possibilities are
1. Seizure - closely related to epilepsy
2. Hemichorea-hemiballism - a type of movement disorder

He needs evaluation including neurological examination. His blood glucose and sodium levels should be checked again immediately. He may also require tests like EEG and MRI scan of brain to differentiate between these conditions. And yes, this problem could be related to low/high glucose too.

Currently he needs to get his blood sugar levels checked immediately. You can call 911/other means to get him evaluated. And also plan a visit to a neurologist's office to confirm the possibility and treat it.

Hope this clarifies your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suddenly noticed no movement in hand and body. What is the disease called? 8 hours later
Thanks for the responses. He is still having tremors. His blood pressure and blood sugar (140) have been normal. He can walk and eat. He is conscious. He does not seem to have fever. What could be the cause of his upper body tremor? What should I do next? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 6 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback.
There are so many causes of these types of movement. The most common causes have been listed in the last query. Other possibility could be a tremor of Parkinson’s disease. As he is otherwise normal and his blood glucose is also normal, I think you can visit a local neurologist in the office hour and get him examined. The clinical interview and the neurological examination will clinch the diagnosis. This will guide us if he requires any brain scan or not.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor