Sudden increase in weight. Suggest a way to reduce the weight

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Weight Loss
Question: I had increased 8 kilograms in 6 months and after strict diet I managed to reduce 5 kilograms in 8 months. Suddenly My weight increased by another 4 kilograms. why is the sudden variation in weight?

Much before the first weight increase I used to work in sales and roam always. the weight started to increase when I moved to a job where I have to sit in front of the system always.Please suggest a way to reduce the weight.

I'm 29 years old male and I'm single.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your query.

The increase in weight after changing of job from active one to sedentary one is a reason for weight gain. Some of the measures to reduce weight are:
1. Increase physical activity and look after your food habits.
2. Increase consumption of water, salads, vegetables and fruits.
3. Avoid fatty foods. Saturated fats, processed foods, refined foods, sweets and chocolates should be avoided.
4. Take regular exercise.
5. Take heavy breakfast and light dinner.
6. Take a stroll after dinner and keep two hours gap between dinner and sleeping.

However, frequent variation of weight has several other causes.
One of the causes is thyroid disorders. Disease of thyroid is associated with weight gain or weight loss unrelated to food habits or physical activity. Firstly get thyroid function tests. In case there is some abnormality in the thyroid functions further management will be according to the problem. If the thyroid functions are normal, other causes will have to be sought.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan