Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Sudden increase in weight. Suggest a way to reduce the weight

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6986 Questions
I had increased 8 kilograms in 6 months and after strict diet I managed to reduce 5 kilograms in 8 months. Suddenly My weight increased by another 4 kilograms. why is the sudden variation in weight?

Much before the first weight increase I used to work in sales and roam always. the weight started to increase when I moved to a job where I have to sit in front of the system always.Please suggest a way to reduce the weight.

I'm 29 years old male and I'm single.
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The increase in weight after changing of job from active one to sedentary one is a reason for weight gain. Some of the measures to reduce weight are:
1. Increase physical activity and look after your food habits.
2. Increase consumption of water, salads, vegetables and fruits.
3. Avoid fatty foods. Saturated fats, processed foods, refined foods, sweets and chocolates should be avoided.
4. Take regular exercise.
5. Take heavy breakfast and light dinner.
6. Take a stroll after dinner and keep two hours gap between dinner and sleeping.

However, frequent variation of weight has several other causes.
One of the causes is thyroid disorders. Disease of thyroid is associated with weight gain or weight loss unrelated to food habits or physical activity. Firstly get thyroid function tests. In case there is some abnormality in the thyroid functions further management will be according to the problem. If the thyroid functions are normal, other causes will have to be sought.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor