Started vomiting, have diarrhea and fever. Should I continue taking norflox tz?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I started with vomiting once, 4 days ago, since that instance, I have been having diarrhea along with fever. I have been on Norflox TZ for the last 4 days. The fever subsided by the end of the third day but the diarrhea continues. I understand Norflox TZ also causes diarrhea. What should I do? Should I continue to take Norflox beyond 5 days?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Norflox TZ should rather stop the diarrhea than cause it.
Mostly symptoms like yours(watery diarrhea and fever without blood in stool) are caused by viral infection. And you have been prescribed with antibiotics which are effective for bacterial infections and does not help with viral. Moreover, antibiotics could cause regular intestinal bacterias destruction and make your infection worse.
However if you have started antibiotics, you should take it as prescribed and should not stop it now.
What you should have now is antidiarrheal medicine (Loperamide 4 mg 3 times a day) and see if it will stop the diarrhea. If not, stool microbiology tests should be performed. You should also remember about proper fluid consumption.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Thank you. Will do. But, I also would like to bring to your attention that I do not have any fever now. It subsided at the end of 3 days. It is just the diarrhea that continues. So, isn't it a sign of infection having gone away now?

Besides the temperature suddenly XXXXXXX up to 101 F. it was not gradual. Perhaps this is an indication of a bacterial rather than a viral?

What microbiology tests should be performed?

Best Regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Hello!

I do not assume that it is for 100% viral infection. However it is most common. Sudden high fever and no blood in stools indicated viral infection (its like a regular flu where the temperature also rises very fast and is pretty high). Lack of fever now means that there is no acute infection present in the blood. But the intestine mucosa is either still infected or irritated after the infection. For sure lack of fever means that it is getting better.
Just note that viral infection usually does not need any antiviral medicines as human body can deal with it by its own immune system.
By microbiology tests I mean stool culture tests (to see what kind of bacterias is present in the stool and if any of them is causing diarrhea) and parasite tests.
And one more thing, you can add a probiotic to your diet (like intestines bacterial supplements or simple yogurt)
Regards.