Started having geographic tongue. Noticed white border in mouth. Related to HIV?

Dr. Abhishek Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 23 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: 29 year old male here that about 4 years ago started having something called geographic Tongue and my tongue since has tasted somewhat metallic at times and the geographic tongue comes and goes. I attached a picture where you can see the small white outlined border circle on the tip or side of my tongue where it shows up time to time. Geographic tongue started about a month after kissing another guy in college, I am still a Virgin though never having had actual sex so my thoughts are that a risk for hiv when kissing was not an issue. I was wondering if Geographic tongue is a sign of HIV infection ? I have not experienced any other symptom that would suggest that but it just seemed odd that I would randomly develop geographic tongue. in my mid to late 20's. I appreciate your help and thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later

Thanks for query,

Geographic tongue is not associated with HIV infection.

It develops because of ill health or decreased vitamin intake or excessive cleaning of tongue done.
You should not worry and take---

Maintain mouth cleanliness but cleaning mouth with normal water every time you eat, and brush your teeth two times a day.

Do not rub your tongue with toothbrush
See if you have dental caries if yes then see a dentist
Take multivitamins
Drink lots of water
Eat fruits which are juicy and citrus fruits.
Take care of constipation
Eat leafy vegetables
Avoid smoking and alcohol
Take care of reflux of food contents by--Avoiding spicy food and late night coffee.

Consult an ENT specialist if not getting relieved as proper examination will be required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Get well soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T