question-icon

Sore feet with burning and tingling sensation. How to overcome this problem?

Posted on Tue, 26 Feb 2013
Question: My mum has sore feet continually burning tingling sensation she also has claw toes and bunions i have taken her to the podiatrist and they have made inner soles doesnt help dont know what else to do? Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Hi XXXXXXX.

I think that inner soles wont solve the problem because the right cause needs to be treated, not symptoms. It can only make symptoms easier(which is also important).

Sore feet, tingling and bunions happens by two mechanisms.
First one is vascular (low venous or arterial blood flow of affected leg).
Second one is neuropathic(leg nerves disorder)
Also these two mechanisms can be combined.

Definitely it sounds to me like typical diabetic complication, but you didnt mention that she has problem with blood sugar level. High cholesterol only shouldnt cause such symptoms...

But at this age, blood flow, especially venous, is insufficient and soreness with skin lesions is usual sign of it.

So I think that "color doppler ultrasound" of legs need to be done to evaluate blood flow. Also check blood glucose level and inflammatory markers.
Any inflammation of this area or pain associated with fever needs to be treated by antibiotics or surgically. Warm baths in salt water are helpful for many patients so she can try this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon