Owl Image

Smoker. Will smoking affect CT scan?

Owl Image
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Question
Thank you. I am a cigarette. And marijuana smoker. I am scheduled for a C T Scan angio with contrast tomorrow. I was told not to smoke cigarettes prior to test. May I smoke a joint. Will this affect my Scan? Thank you
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

I do not advise you to smoke a joint or cigarette. Any kind of smoke is better avoided at least 4 hours before a CT Scan. It will affect the findings of the Computed Tomography Scan largely. Smoking was related to several abnormal CT signs even among those with relatively small exposure. It showed increased emphysema signs and bronchial thickenings.

Let me know if you have further inquiry.

All the best for your test.

Follow-up: Smoker. Will smoking affect CT scan? 16 hours later
Thank you very much for your input. I needed this answer. Test in one hour. Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
That is great.

If you have further queries you can post, else you may close the discussion and rate my answer here.

All the very best.