Can pain in the chest and left arm indicate heart issues while treating emphysema?

Cardiologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with emphysema. Pain in my chest and always in my left arm. Sometimes the pain is excruciating. I have a lot of saliva during the painful periods. Cold air (45 and below seem to trigger it quicker). None of the meds given help and neither does cyanne pepper. I don't question possibility that I have the desease but don't belive that is all of the pain issues.. the pain started like overnite and when I had an infected tooth that had to be pulled the pain left for a couple of weeks, so any info would be a help...
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of any cardiac disorders.

Gastro esophageal reflux could mimic this clinical situation.

Anyway,considering your previous medical history, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- a cardiac ultrasound
- a chest X-ray study
- inflammation tests ( complete blood count, PCT, ESR).

A cardiac stress echo or a nuclear perfusional cardiac stress test would help exclude possible coronary artery disease.

Meanwhile I would recommend trying an antiacid or PPI ( omeprazole) during those episodes. If this helps improve your situation, it would be indicative for gastroesophageal reflux. In such case a fibrogastroscopy may be needed.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri