Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Slow growth rate,slow weight gain,no eating disorder,normal hormone levels

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 297 Questions
My daughter is 16 and very small for her age. She does not yet have her period. We have been to specialists for gastroenterology, and are working on weight gain with an adolescent medicine doctor - though she has not been diagnosed with an eating disorder. Her bone age was just measured as 14 1/2. About three years ago she saw an endocrinologist, and had blood work done which showed that her hormone levels were fine. We didn't pursue this further.
Probably unrelated, but my niece who seems to have a similar growth pattern was given a more rigorous test for human growth hormone after her initial screen was fine. The test found that she was not producing enough human growth hormone as a result of certain stimuli. A sonogram showed that her pituitary gland is misshapen.
Would it be worthwhile for my daughter to revisit an endocrinologist at this point?

Thank you!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 10 hours later
Thanks for the query.

I do understand from your details that your child is suffering from short stature with delayed puberty.

The common hormonal problems could be due to either Multiple or isolated pituitary hormone deficiency or due to Turners syndrome and so on.

She would require a detailed testing of the growth hormone, Thyroid and other pubertal hormones along with imaging of pituitary gland and a karyotype if required.

If it is diagnosed to be any of the above disease, she would definitely be benefited with treatment.

Earlier you treat ,better are the results and if your bones are fused, nothing much can be done for the height.

It is definitely worthwhile to revisit an endocrinologist and discuss with them.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow-up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor