Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Slipped on ice. Started getting pain on leg. MRI showed herniated l5. How to get cure?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Good Evening...Im 38 yo Male and I fell on ice 2 and a half weeks ago. I started to get pain down my right leg after about a few days. I went to Orthopedic surgeon and after an MRI, my L5 is herniated and pressing against my nerve. The doctor says that im a prime candidate for a Microdiscectomy. I cant walk 10 feet without horrendous pain and im home ridden on my couch for 18 hours of the day. My job requires me to be very physical and i avid body builder. Im somewhat scared to get this operation, although ive heard great results from it. My wife is all for it, my side of family has their negatives about it, I dont know what i should do? I dont want epidural as 2 family members get them every 2 months but have constant back pain. WHat should i do??? Thank you....
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

As per your clinical findings and MRI report you are suffering from PIVD at L5 level.
There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks.You can take trial of these conservative management for 6 weeks.
If your symptoms persist after these measures , you can go for surgical option.
You are young and active male requiring good physical demand, so you are good canditate for Microdisectomy. It is a good option and having good results.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor