Should i avoid Chlorpromazine and Sodium valproate while trying to conceive?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Mental Health
Question: My partner and I are trying for a baby and I just had the rod taken out of my arm. So our question and worries are I'm 36 years old and have had three perfect pregnancy before starting of taking these medications which I'm now on CHLORPROMAZINE TAB 20MG one tab in the morning and two tab at night , SODIUM VALPROATE SANDOZ 500MG one tab in the morning and also I'm taking FLUOXETINE SANDOZ CAP 20MG one tab in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risks have to be considered...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are concerned whether the medication that you are on could cause problems if you get pregnant. As a general rule, it is better to avoid any medication in the first 3 months of pregnancy. But sometimes, if there is a necessity, certain medication can be used with caution during pregnancy.

The decision whether to continue the medication or not during pregnancy will depend on how severe your psychiatric problems were and whether there is a significant risk of relapse of those problems if the medication are stopped.

Among the medication that you have mentioned, Valproate has a risk of causing birth defects and hence it is better to avoid it, unless it is absolutely indicated. Chlorpromazine and Fluoxetine have relatively much less risks.

So, I would suggest that before you get pregnant, you discuss with your psychiatrist about adjusting / altering your medication so that the safest treatment plan can be decided on.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist