Suggest treatment for shingles

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is there any effective treatment for post shingle pain that is over 3 years?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment options for post herpetic neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
There are many options available for post herpetic neuralgia or post shingle pain.
For dull aching pain medicines like gabapentine, pregabalin and amitryptyline are given.
If the patient has shooting or lancinating pains then antiepileptics like carbamazepine, sodium valproate and lamotrigine can be used.
The choice of treatment varies from individual to individual and also depends on treating physician's choice.
All these are prescription drugs and should be used under the supervision of the doctor.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist