Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Should I be concerned about one swollen calf with bulging veins of my friend?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hi, should I be concerned about my boyfriends one swollen calf with huge huge and I mean huge like 2 1/2 inch wide super squiggly veins going up the back of the leg and they are buldging. Out way past the surface of his skin. He is short on breathe at times and feels weak or exhausted at times. . He has pain in foot and leg everyday. He gets dizzy when he goes from sitting to standing and when he has an erection he gets excruciating XXXXXXX horse cramps and also while he's asleep too. His skin on foot and ankle are sort of spotted. There ate dark spots spread out over skin sporadically. Is this something to worry about.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It's possibly due to varicose veins Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms From the description given about the lower limb of your boyfriend, it appears to be varicose veins. Varicose veins are dilated and tortuous veins which occurs due to destruction of valves in the vein and causing back flow of blood (normally the veins carry blood towards the heart but due to destruction of valves the flow occurs away from heart towards the feet). Also the veins which are normally seen under the skin surface communicate with the deep veins which are located within the calf muscle through communicating veins. These communicating veins allows flow in only one direction that is from superficial to deep veins because of presence of valves. Destruction of these valves reverses the flow, causing superficial veins to become dilated and tortuous. It is also because of this the pigmentation changes are occurring. If he feels breathless, then possibility of deep vein thrombosis is to be considered. I would suggest you to consult Vascular or General Surgeon for further evaluation of severity. It requires good clinical examination and Doppler scanning of the veins. I hope it helped. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor