What causes dark blue lines from the groin to the left leg?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Hello. My 89 year old father has noticed dark blue lines going down his leg in the left side from his groin area. What can cause this? It does no itch, burn, etc.

He had pain on the left side of his groin on Tuesday also, that seemed to worsen.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doppler Scan will help...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out.

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough

Please note..

1. After reading the history I can think of two things.
A. Varicose Veins
B. Superficial Thrombophlebitis.

2. Varicose veins is very much unlikely at this age group.
Pain of calf muscles and visible veins are usual symptoms.

3. Superficial Thrombophlebitis is the inflammation of veins..
Does he has fever?
Is the area painful to touch?

In old age, this can be a possibility.

4. However.
Please get a Doppler Scan of Left lower limb.
This will tell us what exactly that is.
And we can treat later.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me directly.
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 22 minutes later
No pain, no fever, no hardness in the area, but as you can seem the area bruised rapidly.
Brief Answer:
Better to get a Doppler scan..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..
Please note..

1. Yes this could be because of Hematoma from underlying vessels.

2. Hence Doppler scan will tell the scenario..
And we can treat later.

Hope this helps you..
Take care..