question-icon

What causes sudden swelling in the ankle?

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018
Question: I have had a swollen ankle L for about 3 weeks and I did not injure it , there is no redness in my ankle or calf and no pain Do you have any idea why it could be swollen . I did go to my primary md and he has no idea why this happened
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Check for hidden varicose veins

Detailed Answer:

I see such cases and in one case when I asked for a color doppler of the veins of the left leg I found there were hidden varicosities in the woman.
So I suggest you should ask your doctor to check for varicose veins or thrombotic of the vein.
The other reason could be simple primary lymphoedema which would subside by using compression stockings for 4 to 5 months except during sleep time.
Besides I request you to upload a photograph for direct look at it.
It is not the primary MD who is specialized in such problems but a General Surgeon who sees such patients day in and day out at his office. So next time you take an appointment with a General surgeon.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam