Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Shifting neck pain. Allergic since childhood. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
I am having shifting neck pain . There is no lump or anything .. It started near Wind pipe .. When I appraoched a doctor, she asked me to use antibiotics for 3 days and ear drops for 3 days . She said it could be some type of an infection .. But , it changes places.. Once the pain is below the ear, some times, it is right under the jaw.. I am not seeing any pattern .. Please suggest what to do ? I have been allergic from my child hood and underwent a treatment for the same 15 years ago
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Shifting neck pain originating near the windpipe may be due to the following reasons:
a. Sore throat including allergy.
b. Acid reflux. (Laryngo Pharyngeal reflux or LPR)
c. Thyroiditis.
d. Referred pains. Get your ears examined by an ENT Specialist.

2. Three days of treatment may be insufficient. Discuss with your doctor and continue medication. Ask her to add an anti allergic and pain killer.

3. Get a videolaryngoscopy done.

4. An infection would be unusual without fever, local inflammation and lymph node tenderness in the neck. This may also explain the discomfort and shifting pains in the neck.

5. Imaging studies (such as an ultrasound or scans) are of use in examining the deeper regions in the neck. Routine blood tests may be advised by your physician.

6. The simplest course of action will be to continue antibiotics, anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory agents, medicated gargles and anti-reflux medication and investigate further if there is no relief after a week of treatment.

7. I must emphasize that the chance of a serious problem (with such a short history) at your age is rare.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor